Starworks is a self-paced program that provides students with an academic alternative to the regular classroom format. Starworks courses follow the same curriculum as the regular classes and offer the same final exams at the end of each course; however, instructional methods are different. Starworks is designed to promote excellence through mastery learning, and combines a variety of teaching methods including seminars, small group instruction, individual tutoring, science labs, interactive software, and internet resources. Some courses are totally online, while others are paper-based.
Starworks courses are appropriate for students of all ability levels, provided they are able to read independently and are willing to assume responsibility for their own learning. Teachers are always available in the classrooms and regular attendance is expected unless specific arrangements have been made for someone to be on an individualized timetable. This is not a good option for poorly motivated or highly distractible students.
Starworks may be of particular interest for….
- academically capable students who wish to accelerate in certain courses
- high level athletes or performers who desire a flexible timetable that will accommodate their training and competition schedules
- students involved in linear Music Department courses
- students with medical or social issues who may be absent for extended periods of time
- visual learners who prefer to read material independently rather than listen to a teacher explain the concepts
- students who wish to take a course not offered in the regular timetable due to limited enrolment
- part-time students with work, child care, or other commitments (Note: Part-time students must have approval from a counsellor or administrator)
Starworks is available for English, Social Studies, Science and Math courses. See your counsellor,or contact Ms. Beadall and Mr. Huck for more information
Courses offered through Starworks include:
Social Studies 10
Social Studies 11